I've been contacted by ASCAP regarding music licensing. What should I do?

Generally available music services like Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, and purchased CDs come with a license to use the music in a limited manner, usually for personal use in the home or car.  Put simply, for businesses to play music for their clients, they need to buy a different license.  If a business has been playing music without an appropriate license, the musicians or the clearinghouse that represents them may seek out the business for appropriate remedies for that use. 

We'd encourage you to consult with a local attorney for more details on how this plays out in your state.  That being said, you will likely need to get a license for the music you play in your gym going forward so you can avoid this in the future.

You can find some helpful information on this matter via the CrossFit Affiliate Owners group on Facebook. Many have already been through this process and can provide you with some negotiating tools and you can compare rates. 

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us